Pan fried Sweet n’ Sour Tofu
Welcome to a world of meat-free tasty treats!!! Or were you part of this awesome club already? Either way, I am excited and thankful that you are here! We are BIG believers in a healthy lifestyle and our diet plays a significant role in that journey.
First, I must say that there are many tofu recipes out there and they vary according to ones tastes and preferences. If you’re trying to make it for the first time this is a simple recipe to start with that can be tweaked along the way. It is a GREAT source of plant based protein, magnesium, contains all 9 essential amino acids, calcium, selenium and is gluten free! So without further ado, here is how to make a delicious meal out of that block of white goodness.
430gms (1 block) of Newleaf Wellness tofu
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
¼ cup light soy sauce
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon Newleaf Wellness organic honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic paste/ grated garlic
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon Cumin powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garam masala
1 large size onion
1 stalk of celery for garnishing
- Draining: Quickly rinse out the tofu block (you don’t want it to absorb more water than it has) Place the tofu on a colander (like the one used to drain spaghetti) or a wire baking rack then place the colander (or the rack) on top of another bigger basin to collect the water. Place a heavy item on top of the block but not heavy enough to crush the tofu. The aim is to squeeze out the liquid gradually. I use a 3L bottle full of water or a heavy cooking pan. Leave for 30 minutes
- Once the tofu has drained, slice it into cubes and place into a large bowl. Sprinkle half of the cornstarch on top and gently toss with your hands to ensure all tofu pieces are covered.
- In a large frying pan, add vegetable oil. Once oil is heated up to a medium temperature, add the tofu to the pan and let brown on all sides (Don’t turn them too early to avoid crumbling)
- Once the tofu has browned and crisped up on all sides, it is time to make the sauce!
- Chop and fry the onion. Once cooked, add all spices, soy sauce, vinegar, the remaining corn starch and water. Simmer for 10 minutes till it thickens then add the tofu, lemon and honey. Gently mix it all up. Remove from source of heat and sprinkle celery on top.
Serve and enjoy!
Oh! One more thing! Please share your tofu making experience with us on the comments below, share this recipe with your fiends and family and if you have bought tofu from us, kindly write a review here
Looking forward to your next culinary adventure!
This article was written by Bilha Kenya. She is the Team Leader at Newleaf Wellness, a health enthusiast, vegetarian, wife and mum. She is passionate about healthy living.